Kauai is home to some of the most fantastic and beautiful sunrises and sunsets anywhere in the world. With our pristine natural surroundings, the cliffs, beaches and mountains, and more, it’s an ideal place to simply relax and enjoy with loved ones, friends and family members. Here’s a guide to a few locations and some of the best spots to view both sunrises and sunsets on the island.
- Koloa Landing Sunset Wall: At our very own resort, just across the street and still on our property, is the famous ‘sunset wall’. Known by most locals to be the best place on the island to watch sunsets. Get there a few minutes early, as the wall fills up quickly by locals and tourists alike when sunset is approaching. Get your spot and sip coconut water straight from the coconut (thanks to a guy who sells these right along the sunset wall) while you take in the beautiful views. Maybe you’ll get lucky and spot the green flash just as the sunset dips below the horizon line.
- Polihale Beach: A favorite location on the west shore of the island, Polihale offers great year-round viewing of sunrises and sunsets, with dramatic colors and many viewing locations, including Barking Sands and Polihale State Park.
- Ke’e Beach: The last beach accessible by car on the north shore of the island, Ke’e Beach offers a great locale for sunset and sunrise viewing, and views of the Na Pali coast.
- Kilauea Lighthouse: The famous Kilauea lighthouse on the north shore of the island is in a great location for sunsets and sunrises.
- Hanalei Bay: Hanalei Bay is one of the most popular beaches on Kauai. Located on the north shore of the island, it offers the best viewing during the summer and fall months.
- Poipu Beach: Poipu Beach is a world renowned destination not only for its beaches but for its perfect location for sunsets and sunrises. This is especially true in the winter and spring months, which means you’ll be in prime positioning if you plan a trip to Koloa Landing Resort. Check out the Spouting Horn blowhole for a special sunset backdrop.
- Lydgate State Park: A drive up the eastern shore towards Lydgate State Park will offer great sunset and sunrise viewing opportunities in the right season.
- Kalalau Lookout: The scenic overlooks over the Kalalau Valley offer elevations of several thousand feet, and unblocked views of the island and its ocean surroundings for gorgeous sunsets and sunrises.
- The Coconut Coast: The eastern shore of the island, nicknamed the Coconut Coast for its many palm trees, is perfect for early morning sun rises.
Of course, where exactly you should head to view a beautiful sunrise or sunset on Kauai will depend on the time of the year you visit, as this affects the sun’s exact positioning in relation to the island. And these are just a few of the many locales around Kauai where you can take in a memorable sunset or sunrise. Therefore, when you’re planning a viewing occasion, be sure to check in with our concierge, and we’ll help you find the ideal location.